SEPA Registration of Septic Tanks

SEPA Registration of Septic Tanks

Many properties, particularly in rural areas, are not connected to mains drainage, with drainage of waste water being dealt with by way of a septic tank and soakaway. If this applies to your property you may not be aware that SEPA – Scottish Environment Protection Agency – have introduced a system of Registration of Septic Tanks.

When a new property is built, or when a property is sold, or transferred to another party, it is the Seller’s responsibility to ensure the relevant registration document for their septic tank is in place. Without this, the conveyancing process cannot be completed.

At Macleod & MacCallum, we will of course remind you of this when you decide to place your property on the market with our Estate Agency Department and give you guidance on this matter.

Pollution from sewage can create a risk to the environment and human beings and it is therefore of importance that sewage systems work effectively. It is with this in mind that SEPA requires information of the location of septic tanks, by way of the registration process, to enable them to best protect the environment.

Unless you are selling your property there is, at present, no requirement to apply for registration. For those who do require to make an application for registration this can be carried out either online by contacting SEPA, or on paper by downloading the application form from the said website, or by contacting your local SEPA office. Please note that SEPA charge a registration fee for the registration process, with a discount for online registration. Please also note that this is one-off application and if you already have SEPA consent to discharge waste water, under the old legislation, this may suffice for conveyancing purposes. Again, here at Macleod & MacCallum we will be able to advise you regarding this matter.


Disclaimer: The information in this publication is based on our current understanding of the law. It has been produced for information purposes only. Professional advice should always be sought before taking any action.

Macleod & MacCallum cannot take any responsibility for loss incurred through acting or failing to act on the basis of anything contained in this publication.

Latest News