Overseas transactions – Legalising Documents

Do you need to authorise someone on your behalf to purchase or sell property outwith the UK?

If so you will need to sign a Power of Attorney conforming to the legal requirements of the foreign jurisdiction in order to confer that authority.The Power of Attorney can usually be signed by you within the UK, and will be acceptable to the foreign State provided that it is properly Legalised.

Legalisation involves having a special certificate called an Apostille attached to the Power of Attorney after signing and witnessing, and which avoids the need to involve the foreign Embassy or Consulate. Most European countries and the USA recognise an Apostille without further formality.

We can witness your signature to a foreign Power of Attorney, which is prepared by your overseas lawyer or other official, and obtain an Apostille Certificate from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office both quickly and cost-effectively.

Please contact our Private Client Team if you have any queries.

Latest News