We have a strong tradition in crofting law and a reputation as a specialist in this complex area of law.
We have a wealth of knowledge and substantial experience in acting for and assisting crofting estates and individual clients throughout the Highlands and Islands, including community-owned estates.
We can assist with:-
- Decrofting – of a statutory house site, part croft or whole croft
- Assignation or letting of a tenancy – either to a family member or to an individual outwith the family
- Apportionment and related common grazings matters
- Bequest of a croft tenancy
- Procedure upon intestacy
- Division of a croft
- Exchange of croft land
- Creation of new crofts
- Land Court representation
- Purchase of croft land under the crofting community right to buy legislation
Agricultural law has been subject to major reform in recent years and the ownership, management and leasing of agricultural property is an increasingly complex field.
Our Rural Land Team assist clients with a wide variety of Agricultural matters and can provide expertise and advice in relation to:
- The purchase and sale of agricultural property
- Advice to landlords and tenants in relation to agricultural holdings legislation
- Preparation of lease documentation including Limited Duration Tenancy Agreements, Short Limited Duration Tenancy Agreements and Grazing Lets
- Acquisition and disposal of woodlands
- Succession planning and transfer of tenancies
- Representation in and applications to the Scottish Land Court